The Reprieve


I spent all day Sunday thinking that there was school today. Today being Monday after two glorious weeks of winter vacation. Two full weeks of no school, the Hubbs was off of work, and all I had to do was get my butt to work five days out of seven. It was busy, I won't lie, but it was also amazing. Amazing that I didn't have to worry about child care, or the dishes, or bed times and bath times. We just flew by the seat of our pajamas as we enjoyed a little down time. So yesterday I spent the entire day at work planning my evening. What time I'd get dinner done, how we'd fit in much needed hair cuts, should I make lunches tonight or tomorrow morning. I knew that Monday was going to be my day off, but I knew it was going to be nothing like a day off when you have to shuttle kids and do things like laundry and dishes. Especially now since the Hubbs would be back to work, and if I'm being totally honest, is a much better housewife than I.

So imagine my excitement and surprise when my mom asked, "Are you sure the kids have school tomorrow?". I wasn't sure. But I let it go for the moment, taking a mental note to ask my neighbor who knows all things Clovis Unified, especially when it comes to vacation days. Later in the car the Hubbs asked, "Did you even check if the kids have school?", and I hadn't so I got on my "magic Internet phone", and Googled the school district and found the lunch calendar... And hallelujah there was no school scheduled for Monday the fifth!

We got a reprieve. One last night and day to ignore responsibilities. We stayed up late, and we totally slept in. The kids to almost eleven. Me to almost nine. I can't even begin to explain the sheer joy it was not to have to set an alarm, and not to have to wake to one. I laid in bed and watched a few shows on my DVR, then the Gilmore Girls, because why the hell not. My hair, I did not wash, my make up left raccoon rings around my eyes. We did small errands that had been sitting since the beginning of December, and then with not a single thing on our to do list, we went to our happy place... Target.

Life starts all over again tomorrow. This time for real. I have to work the closing shift. The kids both have school. Who knows what dinner will look like, and the dishes will most likely sit. The laundry will remain unfolded, or even better unwashed. And that will all be okay, because we will be so busy again to even care.

But today, we got a reprieve.

And it was pretty fantastic.